Backgrounds

8/24/07

The Back Lashes

It's a known fact that I had an accident with the propane barbecue grill this summer. During our first grill out in May, I unknowingly filled the barbecue with propane gas and then hit the ignition switch. We're lucky the house didn't go up in flames, especially since the TV was on full blast inside the house and neither Mom nor Dad would have heard my cries for help had I been on fire. They didn't even know what had happened until I informed them.
A plume of gas and smoke went up to the deck roof, but fortunately did not burn or blacken any of the plastic underlying roof protection. Even luckier was the fact that my hair did not go up in flames since I had pulled it back wet that morning and thus had to use a can of hair spray to hold the flyaways in. I did inhale a large amount of propane, which left my throat a little squeaky and sore for a few days. Not so lucky were my eyebrows and eyelashes, which burned almost completely off my left eye.
Mom originally said, "Oh, just put some mascara on. Nobody will notice." Later that night I tested her theory. WRONG! The lashes were so singed and burned that they looked like stubble, and it was easily noticeable that the left eye's lashes were MUCH shorter than the right eye's lashes. Disappointing, to say the least. However, it gave me an excuse to refrain from wearing makeup for several months, which I thoroughly enjoyed even if it got me strange stares from people who knew I could look better.
Well, the lashes are back! This past Tuesday was the first day I attempted mascara since the fateful day in May. We have since grilled, although I did have some help lighting the grill this time around. We figure there must have been some propane stored in the line and that's what made the grill blow up. It's good to have my lashes back, even if that means wearing mascara so I look human now. Kids, DO NOT attempt it! Let your parents or some other knowing adult light the grill. And for you adults, make sure you read all the grill instructions and check for gas leaks before hitting ignite. It will save you much face in the long run - pun intended.

No comments: