Backgrounds

5/1/08

Deranged Devotee

This week has been a great upset for me. For the first time ever, I have become an American Idol addict and live for Tuesday and Wednesday nights so I can watch the show. Mom and I have thoroughly enjoyed this season as we've watched both Brooke White and David Archuleta (our two favorites) win some and lose some. However, I must say that my disappointment in last night's show was FAR worse than I thought it would be. We've had a feeling all week that Brooke would be the one voted off this week. But, we also held on to the fact that Jason Castro stinks so horribly that surely the rest of the people in America would realize this and vote the "dread"ed fellow off. They didn't! And to our utter shock and disappointment, Brooke was unfairly sent home. Now, I'm not saying she's perfect, or that she never made any mistakes. We hit the floor with her during Andrew Lloyd Weber week when she lost her lyrics. But she came back, she persevered, and she did so well with two very difficult Neil Diamond songs. She even went so far as to write the lyrics on the palm of her hand! When Ryan announced it was Brooke that was leaving, we got teary. Dad even commented (having only watched this one episode of the entire show in his life) that Brooke seemed to have made the most lasting impact on the other contestants. We referred to her as the "mother" of the group. And I think in many ways she was. Wise beyond her years, and an old soul who showed true feelings and emotion every time she stood on that stage.
So, this post is for you Brooke! You deserved another week. Jason should have been voted off four (or more) weeks ago. He's not going to make it to the final two, and he knows it. You are a beautiful soul! Thanks, too, for always dressing stylishly AND modestly. It was nice not to have to worry about whether we'd see anything inappropriate (like a tattoo or loads of cleavage). There won't be another Brooke in our lifetime! And to whoever wins the American Idol popularity contest (since it should be David Archuleta, but the judges are making sure it will be David Cook) know that Brooke will live on, move on, and be just as big a star in her own right as you.
For the record, Brooke does have an "independent" album out called "Songs From The Attic" and it's absolutely wonderful! True Brooke all the way through. You can buy it on her website at www.brookewhite.com. All of Brooke's TRUE fans should check it out. It's worth listening to, and it won't be the last one we hear!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I couldn't agree more with you Katie! Brooke, might not have been the best and probably wouldn't have won but to have her sent home and Jason got to stay!!! What is wrong with America!? Do they not hear and see the same thing we see each week? Anyway, I love your tribute to Brooke and I love her cd! I'm glad to see you posted again!

Jenkins Family said...

Katie I feel bad for you and all the american idol fans out there. I as sitll sorry to say I have never watched american idol,(I know I am probally the only one in the world who has not) But it is sad to have someone who deserves to stay leave and someone who stinks stay. Keep posting!!!!!