Backgrounds

6/15/10

Could it be?

Mom and I sat out on the front porch and talked tonight. And I had a major thought. MAJOR.

Could it be that the reason people my age and younger don't date is that for YEARS we have been told to group date, group date, group date? It was never encouraged to "pair off" and date just one person. There was safety in numbers, right?

I think that's part of the problem with older single people. We're good, obedient people, and we listened to the prophets and our parents (not at all bad things to do, so children still need to listen to their parents and the prophet).

But seriously, think about it. Not once in high school did I go on a date alone with a boy. Well, actually, I take that back. There were a few times, but they were just that - FEW. Mostly, we did things in large groups. Kind of what "hanging out" is now. That's why we're all still single! We didn't get the memo that it's okay to date without a hundred friends around.

Hey, I figured out the why. Someone else needs to come up with the solution to fix it. Good luck!

1 comment:

Shauna Leavitt said...

You are so right! In my singles ward in AZ - our bishop would get after the guys for not asking girls out on dates. The trend was always just to "hang out." It gets to old!