The more you try not to focus on something important, the more the Lord will MAKE you focus on it. This weekend I learned a lot. Some of it is stuff I probably knew in part, but situations occur to solidify what you need to know.
The first thing I learned is that running away only leads to running toward something else - and usually that something else is more problems. If you are going to run away, it's sometimes appropriate to take someone you love with you. They might know how to help you solve the problems you're running from. If they don't, they will at least be good company.
The second thing I learned is that we all value different things. What someone else values, I might see as silly or a waste of time. But I would bet good money that most of the things I value are meaningless to others. Never knock what is of value to someone else.
The third thing I learned is that when there is a possible emergency, I maintain a pretty cool head. This is a good thing, especially if I ever have the chance to be a mom. Most likely, I won't freak out if/when the kid bleeds, gets in an accident, or (like their mother) is completely accident prone, breaks bones, and needs stitches.
The fourth thing I learned was perhaps the most profound. I'm still digesting most of it. This might be where I get comments about stupidity. Oh well. I'll take that chance. This section of what I learned also has parts. It can't really be lumped into ONE learned thing. It's just that they pertain to the same thing.
Part one: according to Elder Bednar, if you have fears about marriage you don't understand the fullness of the plan of happiness. This means I have a LOT more to learn.
Part two: pride is about WHO is right; humility is about WHAT is right. I hope to remember that until I die. Simple phrase. Extremely profound.
Part three: no two marriages are alike, so you shouldn't compare your thoughts or ideals about marriage or your marriage itself to any other marriage. It's asking for trouble and you fill find unhappiness every time.
Part four: Heavenly Father loves us so much that He provided the opposite sex with complementary characteristics so we could perfect each other.
Part five: everything we do in life, from infancy to death, prepares us for an eternal marriage.
Part six: until a marriage is sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise it is probationary. This means there is a lot of time and opportunity for growth.
The fifth thing I learned is that, no matter how prepared you think you are, dealing with the death (slow or sudden) of a parent is really hard. Even if you know the basics of how it will happen, it's still not easy and there will still be lots of tears.
The sixth thing I learned (not to make light of the others) is that $.98 strawberries and a family size bag of Cheetos from Walmart can put a smile on this girl's face. I believe that means I know how to enjoy the simple things in life. And simple is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment