Backgrounds

11/12/10

So ... I lied

Anyone a member of the big box stores? I am. And I join them both because they have different items and each one has certain things that are a must (i.e. shampoo or deodorant or soap, etc.). You can't beat the prices, so being a member really does save me money, even though I have to pay the dang fees every year. 
Well, that said, I get annoyed when people at the gas pumps give you a shpill about how they've lost their card or suddenly realize they left home without it or they grabbed the wrong wallet. Yes, believe me, I have heard every one of these sob stories while standing at the pump. 
I had to fill up my car with gas tonight and these two kids (a couple, probably in their twenties, I'd say) driving like bats out of you-know-where drove up to a gas pump (the wrong way, might I add - oh that drives me CRAzy!). The guy hops out of the car and asks the lady on the opposite side of the pump if he can use her membership card to buy gas because he lost his card. She said no, jumped in her vehicle, and pulled away. (Lucky her, she was already done pumping gas and ready to roll.)
I KNEW, just KNEW, he was going to ask me next. Sure enough, he turned to me and asked to use my card. I said, "Sorry, I'm a business member and only certain people can use it." LIE! I LIED!!! Under normal circumstances, I would feel bad about lying and kick myself over doing it for weeks until I felt like I'd repented. In this case, NO GUILT WHATSOEVER!!! (We all know very well he never had a card to begin with, right?) 
He shook his head and asked another lady across from him if he could use her card. She said something (couldn't hear her), he came back with, "It's just a matter of swiping it", and she said no again. He calls her the B word along with a few other obscenities and moves on to the guy across from me. And he does what?! Yeah ... he gives that rotten little jerk his card so they can get a cheaper price on gas than they should have! Grr!!! I wanted to smack the guy across from me until I saw that he was an old man. He probably thought the jerk was going to beat the crap out of him if he didn't give up his card. 
I don't know why stuff like that irritates me so much. Other than the fact that I'm paying a fee every year to use those services and feel like I shouldn't have to pay the fees so I can give my membership card to other people that I don't even know so they can have them, too! Not gonna do it! 
So ... I lied. I'm a liar. Hopefully, it's not one of those sins that commits me to hell. I'd like to think I earned an "invitation to Satan's house" rather than arriving there by default because of one lie to a selfish jerk to prevent him from using my membership card.

No comments: