Backgrounds

12/9/10

Nostalgia

My best friend (the one I've never NOT known) is coming "home" shortly before Christmas. Can you say excited?! 

Every year at Christmas our parents would have a Christmas party. And a New Year's party every New Year's Eve. Nothing EVER got scheduled over those parties because it was known well in advance that they were on the calendar. Now, I can't tell you specifically what happened at those parties, what food was served, what fun things were done. But I can tell you what I felt at those parties: happiness, joy, love, peace, friendship, and the Christmas Spirit. 

It is those very things I'm looking forward to when my BFF gets here. I could care less what we eat, what we talk about, what activities we do. It's that feeling of nostalgia and memories of feeling good and safe and peaceful that will last forever. 

THAT is why Christmas is my favorite holiday. It's the feeling associated with it. It's naps by the Christmas tree with the lights on, family over to play games or watch movies, Mom and I putting a puzzle together, music and more music, hearty foods and hot chocolate or wassail. It's all the things I would love to do every day, all day, but rarely have an opportunity to do. Time seems to slow down, almost come to a halt. I love that. I love that feeling. 

Nostalgia is great. And I thrive on it!

1 comment:

Shauna Leavitt said...

I hear ya sista! I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it! Time really does stop for an evening, doesn't it?