Backgrounds

3/4/11

Honor

There has been a lot of talk lately about Brandon Davies. He is a BYU basketball player that was dismissed/suspended from the team because he violated BYU's Honor Code. The big question has been what did he do to deserve the dismissal? My question in reply: Does it really matter what he did? 
I don't know the situation, so I can't comment on Brandon's actions, but this is what I feel. Honor is tied directly to integrity. Integrity is doing what you know to be right even when nobody is watching (in other words, even when it's not necessary to prove you did what was right). Whatever Brandon did, he lost his honor. He signed a contract (a "code"); he promised his coaches, his teammates, and his friends that he would abide by that contract. He promised to abide by certain rules, but he didn't keep his end of the contract. 
Because of his actions he must now face the consequences. Unfortunately, so must his coaches and teammates. He left behind him a morally deflated group of individuals who thought more of him and expected more of him than he gave. He literally gave up his honor for something of less value. Was it worth it? 
The whole thing has made me think about my life and my choices. Have I ever given up my honor for something of less value? Have I ever traded in my integrity for far less than it was worth? Have I ever been so selfish as to minimize others by choosing something that was easy or fun or exciting or different? If so, I better start repenting now because as far as I'm concerned throwing your honor out the window is like saying you know more than God. And I don't care who you are, you don't know more than the God that created you. 
The honorable thing would have been to walk away from whatever temptation was in the way. The honorable thing would have been to hold your values, your morals as one of the most important things you own. For Brandon's sake, and the sake of his friends and all those he has disappointed, I hope he learns quickly what it means to be a man of honor. 
And next time, if there is a next time, just stick with what you know is right regardless of what is being thrown in your face. After all, you can take your honor with you to the next life. If you don't have your honor to take with you what have you really got?

No comments: