Backgrounds

3/25/11

K is for ...

K-een
I-deal
T-errific
C-lassy
H-andy
E-xcellent
N-ifty
A-wesome
I-ncredible
D-andy


And it's mine!!! 
KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, White
Well, next week it will be mine anyway. My friend, Linda, is always sharing delicious recipes with me. Her most recent one was for homemade wheat bread sweetened with honey. She made me a loaf and brought it in to work today. It is heaven! I'm so excited to take it home and share it with Mom and Dad. The texture is so not wheat bread. It's soft and chewy, but has no grainy feel to it. Plus, there's not much of a bread "taste", unlike some wheat breads where all you can taste is the wheat. 
She shared the recipe with me a couple of days ago. They ground their own wheat for the bread. Very homemaker-ish, eh? Yeah, well, Mom bought a wheat grinder a while back and we haven't really used it. And we have like a bazillion pounds of wheat of all kinds of varieties in our food storage. What better way to use it and learn how to grind the wheat at the same time? 
What prompted the KitchenAid purchase then? Well, the recipe said to use a bread machine with a dough hook. Uh, yeah. Don't have one of those. Well, I do. Kind of. I have a hand mixer that has served me well for years. It has a dough hook, but not one that could manage making actual wheat bread. I've been pricing KitchenAid's for almost a year now. I found this exact one for a steal (like highway robbery) on (where else?) Amazon. And with my good ol' Prime Membership I could put it on my Amazon card and not pay interest for six months. So I did it. And now Mom and I (yes, Mom, you) are going to learn to make homemade whole wheat bread after we learn how to grind our massive amounts of wheat. Fun, huh? I'm so excited about it! And I hope we don't end up baking bricks instead of loaves because then maybe we could share loaves with others like Linda shared with me. 
The "rationalizer" and "justifier" in me also noted last night that learning to grind wheat and bake bread would definitely qualify for some sort of Young Women's project in my Personal Progress. Sweet! Heck, I might earn that medallion after all.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Oh Katie....you are sweet! I hope you love your KitchenAid as much as I love mine! I use it for everything! Can't wait to try a loaf of your bread!!!