It was pretty darn amazing to see the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and other important U.S. documents at the National Archives. I got a little emotional seeing them up close and thinking about what it took for the signers and implementers to build a country of independence. The fact that it was close to Memorial Day weekend and we have troops fighting for those very freedoms and that independence probably didn't help any. It really was an inspiring experience. After all, I've learned about Jefferson and Washington and others all my life, but they've never seemed real. To see those documents and their signatures and realize they were people who really existed and did amazing things and that's why I'm here today and have what I have was incredible.
It turned out to be especially great when we accidentally got turned around (okay, we got lost) and stopped to ask some guards where the documents were. They pointed around the corner through a doorway. We waltzed on in. And THEN we saw the line of people waiting behind a rope to view the documents. Oops! Essentially, we butted in line without even knowing it and did so at the direction of security guards. Ha! It pays to walk around D.C. with a stroller. Well, I guess the kid IN the stroller probably helped, too. But it was a wonderful and fascinating experience.
I bought copies of the documents in the gift shop and, wouldn't you know it, they wouldn't fit in my luggage without getting squished. Shauna was totally great and we stopped at the post office to get a round tube. She mailed them to me later and it was well worth the wait. They still reside in that tube, but I will find a way to get them framed one day and display them proudly in my home.
Pictures weren't allowed inside the Archives (for obvious reasons), but we did get a few on the outside. It's a beautiful building on the inside and out and filled with history. I'm so glad we got to stop there and see everything.









No comments:
Post a Comment