Sometimes things just don't work out.
And sometimes it's actually better that they didn't work out.
I really love my ward. And I love the people in it. They are great. They love me.
That was a preface to what I'm about to divulge. It's disturbing. Young children should now go to bed.
One lady (several months ago) asked me how old I was. "Thirty-three." I responded with confidence. She then proceeded to tell me she had a 22-year-old grandson she'd like to set me up with because I'd "be good for him." Red flag! I politely declined.
The same lady (a few weeks later) asked me again how old I was. "Still thirty-three." I said, with even more confidence. She then advertised her 45-year-old recently divorced son who, by her own admission, "is a former ass" who "called all his sisters on Mother's Day to wish them well." Great! Nothing like being set up with a reformed ass.
In the last few weeks, a 77-year-old widow (whom I dearly love) got engaged to a 72-year-old widower. While out shopping one day, she was introduced to a young man by her fiancee and they decided to play matchmaker. They asked this young man if he would like to go out with me. "Sure," was his response (according to what I've been told). The "date of all dates" was supposed to take place last night. We had plans to put dinner in the oven, go for a walk on the trail where the newly engaged couple met, and then eat dinner at this lovely lady's home. A night to remember, right? Until the young man "forgot" about the date and arranged to be at a "work thing" instead.
Therefore, the title of this post is gratitude. Why?
Well, first of all, the best part of blind dates is the story you get to tell when it's over.
Second, the story leading up to this one was pretty good, so the date itself would have had to be over the top ridiculous to beat out the story about how the date was arranged.
Third, blind dates are enormously uncomfortable, so my night was actually relaxing.
Fourth, Heavenly Father really knows us. The timing obviously wasn't right on this one.
Fifth, who has a 77-year-old friend that feels so bad things didn't work out that she calls and invites you to watch a movie and have popcorn with her and her fiancee and listen to the rain because she's worried you might feel dejected? That's pretty cool.
Basically, I have a lot of gratitude for where I'm at in life right now. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father is aware of me and watching out for me. There are a lot worse things in life than being single and being set up on blind dates by ladies in your ward that love you and want you to be happy. I'm just grateful to have people like that in my life who want me to be happy, even if it means going to the outer reaches of reality to get me there. :D
Yep, gratitude fills me up.
2 comments:
You know, our ward's most eligible bachelor lives just down the street from you. And he's close to your age.....and he's a really good guy....and he's really good lookin'....and you already know him and his family....just sayin' is all. Just sayin'.
And our ward's most eligible bachelor would never, ever go on a date with me because we don't have much in common. He's a skier, snowboarder, mountain climber, rock climber, do crazy things like that kind of guy. You couldn't pay me to do any of those things. Ever.
But thanks for putting on your thinking cap, Sharen. :D
Post a Comment