Backgrounds

1/19/11

Moo-lah

Basically, I have everything I need and most of what I want (besides several million dollars ... all things in time, right?). 
So it's not easy to "gift" me something I don't already have. That's where Mom found herself on my birthday. What in the heck could she give me that I didn't already have? 
She pulled through! 
The thing about Mom? She's SO creative. (Sometimes it bugs me, but only because I'm jealous. Sh. Don't tell her I said that.) This year was no exception. 
Let me preface that by saying I was NOT happy about having a birthday this year. Sometimes I hit a "rut" and wish people would just let the day pass without causing a scene, demanding celebration, or even remembering me. Yeah, it was one of those birthdays for me. Stupid and selfish. I know. Whatever. 
Anyway, Mom wrote a cute poem for me about our life adventures and the places we've visited and things we've done together. She wrote about my BFF, Shauna, and all the fun times we had growing up "through the fence" from each other. And then, Mom and Dad gave me Moo-lah (aka "seed money") towards a trip to NYC/DC to see Shauna. 
Can I get a "Woot! Woot!"? Oh yeah. I'm excited! There are lots of things to do and see in NYC and DC. I've been there before, but not with a "local", so this will be a different travel experience for me. (Plus, I'm not one to invite myself to stay with someone, so I'm sure Shauna was real happy about that news.) 
The only drawback? I realized as I was kissing Bear (my four-legged BFF) this morning before I left for work that he can't come with me. Sad!!! I'm not sure how long I can survive without him. And he's not one to talk on the phone, so it's not like I can call him and have a conversation with him and know he's okay. My heart breaks thinking about it. :o( At least with Mom I can call every day and chat with her and know by the sound of her voice how things are going. :o) 
I'm aiming for April or May on the travel front. Shauna and I will chat this weekend and hopefully nail down more specifics. How fun! It's been quite a while since I took a "real" trip and actually used vacation time for a vacation. Fun, fun, fun! And all thanks to Mom and Dad. It sorta makes up for not wanting to celebrate this year's birthday. Sorta. 

3 comments:

Shauna Leavitt said...

Woot Woot! I'm so excited. Let's chat Saturday. April's looking pretty good - but May is in the running as well. Spring break is in April, so I was planning on taking time off from teaching ... but I can always adjust my schedule :). So so excited! You'll have to starting thinking of what places you want to see. Have you ever been to DC?

Linda said...

How fun for you! You'll have a great time. Sounds like you had a great birthday!

Paul & Ashley Justensen Family said...

How fun! I am so excited for you. You deserve a real vacation. Take lots of pictures!