It is a well-known fact (see the timeline of my last blog) that I do not like to blog. I don't even like to write in a journal. I dislike taking notes of any kind. And I especially don't like recording important things because, well, I just don't. Perhaps it is because I don't feel like much that I have to say will be profound or smart or clever or witty - like other blogs that I enjoy reading. It's almost like a blogging competition, of sorts, to be the best, say it the best, etc. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for friendly competition. It's just that the kind of competition I like has more to do with creaming someone while playing a sport.
I've realized, however, that it is important to have recorded (somewhere) bits and pieces of your life because somebody somewhere (really?) is going to be interested in what you have done. It is this realization that brings me to a decision: I will try (and I repeat try) to update my blog more regularly. And I will also try to write something of worth (not that anyone reads the dang thing, but just so I feel better about my efforts).
That said, I'm back on the wagon.
And I would like to write about something that dawned on me last night and I haven't been able to get out of my mind.
It's Adam and Eve. Yep. The first eternal couple.
See, Adam and Eve were sent out into the lonely world to till it and do something with it. In modern day, a temple marriage could symbolize this exact same thing. Two people enter into a covenant with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and then they get sent out in the lonely world to till it and do something with it.
To my dismay, I think more brides focus on that one day of their marriage - the wedding and the reception, etc. They give little thought to what comes AFTER that. Adam and Eve definitely had problems. Look at what their kids did to each other! If that isn't the definition of a dysfunctional family, I don't know what is. Yet, Adam loved Eve so much that he left the Garden of Eden to be with her. He knew the plan. He didn't have to eat the fruit. But he did. And I think it was in part because he loved Eve and he wanted to be with her, even if they would have to toil and sweat and have sorrow to be together.
Now THAT is romantic!
Not that I know a lick about relationships, but wouldn't it be nice if all the Eves who want that kind of romance could find all the Adams that are willing to give it? I mean, really. Would there even BE divorce? If you loved someone so much that you gave up all of your comforts to be with her, knowing full well that comfort was the last thing you'd ever have again, doesn't that prove how much you want to be with her? Yeah. Pretty much.
I'm not sure why those thoughts occurred to me. Maybe because I'm so scared of getting divorced that I sometimes worry it's what keeps me from finding someone to marry. Or maybe it's because I'm selfish and being comfortable is the "easy" way of doing things, even though long-term it's not really easy - it's just a different kind of difficult. Maybe it's because I get bored with people easily. But, come on, that's just an excuse. Because I've lived with parents and family and I've been bored of them plenty of times and never asked for a divorce or left them hanging. Some credit is due there, right?
Anyway, I'm sure more thoughts will come later. But I reserve the right to be on a learning curve right now until I figure things out. And don't worry about giving advice. Unless I ask for it, of course. I won't listen to it anyway.
Should I get off the wagon now?
1 comment:
great post katie! makes a lot of sense. (but let's see some pictures, you could find one of adam and eve!)
Post a Comment