Two things that really test me: blind dates and online dating.
Blind dates have not been the best of experiences for me. Since I'm the common denominator, the problem must be me. :D Sorry to all of my well-meaning friends, but I just don't enjoy a blind date anymore. They were fun when they were new and exciting. I'm over the initial thrill now. There's not much good to say about them. It's great to meet new people, sure. But if you don't ever talk to them again, how exactly is that great? Yeah. Blind dates really test my patience, and probably ruin the lives of the poor saps I've been out with. Truthfully, I really am a fun person to be around (most of the time). Not knowing you makes me uncomfortable though, so I'm not likely to spill my guts or be gushy about you asking me out. It's a "get to know you" period. Give me time. But if you really didn't have fun or don't want to go out again, just say so. No more of this, "Yeah, it was fun. We'll have to do it again some time." Especially when you know full well you're going to get in your car, drive away, and say "phew!" a hundred times before you get home.
As for online dating ... well, let's just say I do this because I'm a sucker for abuse. No really. I'm not blonde. I'm not skinny. And I'm not gorgeous. Three strikes against me and they happen to be the three things men are looking for when it comes to online dating. Besides those three things, older men love to hit my profile. Only problem: they could never keep up with me. I'm still young and spunky and full of adventure. I don't want to sit home like old people do. Men my age would be great, but you wouldn't believe how many have the word "maybe" listed next to the "Do you want kids?" question. That bothers me. I want kids and still have a good 10 years left to have them. How can you say maybe? Younger guys are a great option. However, they want the tiny, perky, blonde, ditsy girls. They don't want the best friend, the girl they can take home to mom, or anyone else remotely capable of commitment or intellectual conversation. They want arm candy and that's about it. I ain't no arm candy.
*Sigh* For the love of Pete, what's a girl to do then? Hanging out with the girls and my married friends is great and all, but sometimes a girl needs a little romance. If you could find romance on blind dates or via online dating, I'd be a pro at romance right now. As it is, I'm still looking for my best friend and wondering where in the heck he's spending all his time since we haven't met. Or maybe we have and I ... oh, forget it. Perhaps he's home blogging.
1 comment:
Oh Katie! Love this post!
Post a Comment