Backgrounds

5/19/10

Love Language

Apparently, everyone has a love language.
Is it true that most men like to give flowers or candy or small gifts to women?
And is it true that most women like to receive flowers or candy or small gifts from men?

This really confuses me.
Flowers die.
Candy gets eaten, after which you feel guilty and worry how much weight you've gained.
Small gifts are fun to open. Sure. But then what do you do with it?

Obviously, receiving gifts is not part of my love language. I'd lots rather give them.
A guy doesn't need to bring me flowers and chocolates. He doesn't need to spend money on me, take me to fancy restaurants, or buy me pretty little things. He doesn't need to put a lot of effort into planning things for us to do.
What I want is a guy that will spend time with me;
A guy who will open doors for me and be gracious when I thank him for doing it;
A guy who will make me laugh;
A guy who is as awkward at kissing as I am sure to be (never been kissed, so, yeah - awkward);
A guy who is patient, even when I freak out over stupid stuff;
A guy who will defend my honor;
And a guy who will take out the trash or help me fix the toilet or mow the lawn.

Is it too much to ask? I mean, there's nothing in there about looks, money, career, etc. The things in life that really matter are not things you can buy anyway. Once the flowers are dead and the chocolate is eaten, will he still be there for you? Because that's what counts. And that's why my love language has nothing to do with material gifts. A gift of time and sincere affection matters more to me than anything he could buy anyway. And those gifts take a lot more thought than something you can buy at a store or order online.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Amen! (but i do love flowers and candy!)