Backgrounds

8/24/10

Every So Often

Every so often (about every two years), I get an "itch" to switch things up. As in: buy a new car. Currently, I drive a Honda Accord like this one:
 So that I can buy something like a Toyota Prius and save the universe with my economic and gas-friendly hybrid. Like this one: 
But then, I think about how much I love my leather seats, seat heaters, sun roof, six CD player, and general feel and smell of my lovely Honda. I owned a Honda previously, and then traded it in for a Toyota Camry. HUGE mistake. Not that I don't like driving a Camry, but there's just something about my Honda that gives me the "this is my car" feeling. The Camry never felt that way. And I obviously had no attachment to the Camry because I never named it. Silverado is too lovely to part with! 

Every so often, I crave trying new foods. Lots of people have told me I need to try Chicken Tikka Masala. The problem is, it's orange, like this: 
Not that I have an "aversion" to orange foods (my mom has an "aversion" to blue foods unless it's blueberries), but this color of orange does not look so tasty. Plus, the last time I ate Indian food (by the way, nobody really knows where Chicken Tikka Masala originated, but some say it was in Britain - go figure) my mouth was on fire from hot curry for days - DAYS! I'm all for spice, but I think you should be able to taste other things when you're done with the hot and spicy. You shouldn't breathe fire days later, unless, of course, you're a fire-breathing dragon. 

Every so often, I like to be a little kid again and watch cartoons in my pajamas on a Saturday morning. It's not quite like the "good ol' days" when Tom & Jerry and Garfield were on, but this will do: 
Or this:
 Or this: 
In fact, my nephew, Andrew, and niece, Amanda, were staying with us a couple of nights last week. One night, we went on a walk and did some work at a friend's house that I was "sitting" while she was away. When we got home, I fixed us all dinner and we watched four or five episodes of SpongeBob. I would laugh (hysterically, if it was warranted) at the show, and every time I did Andrew looked at me with this look of complete awe on his face. Finally, he said, "I can't believe you like SpongeBob." Hey, you don't have to grow up. So what if I'm old and still like to watch cartoons? 

Every so often, I wish I had the guts to write a really important letter to someone and tell them my innermost thoughts and feelings. But I don't do it because I'm a scaredy-cat and don't know how it will be received. Instead, I agonize over it because I know I should write it and the response probably won't be anything like what I expect it to be. I wish fears wouldn't get the best of me and that I could just say, "I don't care what the response will be. I'm writing this because it needs to be said and I can't move forward until I get it off my chest." Maybe one day I'll be able to do that and be courageous and not care. 

Every so often, I wish life were easier and that "someone" would lay out the life plan for me because I'd happily oblige and do whatever the plan said. *sigh*

3 comments:

Sharen said...

No, no. You don't want someone to lay out the life plan for you. I let my parents do that to me for my college degree. They meant no harm, they only wanted what was best for me, of course. But I've regretted every minute of it because I HATE the profession. (not to mention that I SUCK at it!) I wish I would've had the backbone to say, "I am glad you love me, but this is my choice because I have to live with it and you don't." I learned the hard way that I would rather make my own choices, even if they are stupid sometimes. Better a dumb choice than no choice at all!

OK, all done with the soap box. :)

Shauna Leavitt said...

I love your blog!

I too miss those Saturday morning cartoon from back in the day. I used to grab my favorite blanket and head straight for the family room and turn on the TV.

You should give Chicken Masala another try ... but tone down the spice to mild and you might really like it. I love Indian food, but unfortunately Charlie doesn't so much :(

I love this post because you really made me thing of all my "Every so oftens ..."

Linda said...

Cute post...but Sponge Bob? I want to eat that chicken orange stuff bad! Looks so good!