For the heck of it, I decided yesterday afternoon that I wanted to learn to make a quiche. That's right, people! Even though the French people aren't "friendly" with Americans, their food is pretty good stuff.
So, I did some digging online and learned that quiche is made in a pie crust. Boo! I don't eat those kind of hip-hugging carbs anymore; disappointment set in quickly. And then - voila! (Is that a French word?) I found a recipe where you could make quiche without the crust. Yippee!
What did I do? I made a trip to Smith's and bought out the store! Okay, not really, but I spent a nice chunk of money on some groceries (that I'll be eating for the next two weeks). Then, I went home and started chopping.
*Sidenote: there's a commercial on TV for Lean Cuisine (I think) that says something about "Dicing and chopping is so relaxing" and then it says "Yeah, right", etc. I'm not one to get offended, but this commercial bugs me because there really are people (me) who like to dice and chop and really cook a good meal - even after a long day at work. Sidenote over.*
Everything but the kitchen sink later, I ended up with a delicious and tasty quiche that was even tastier for breakfast this morning. When I took one up (yes, I made two quiches - hm, is that really the plural?) last night to Mom, she and David both liked it. My mind started whirring and I blurted out, "I bet it would be really good with hamburger, Mexican tomatoes, green chilies, and corn!" Yes, this is really how I cook. Just throwing stuff in a pan and hoping it tastes like something edible when I'm done.
So, I think my next adventure with quiche will be making one with Mexican flair. Tonight, though, I'm making the Chicken Tikka Masala I talked about in my last post. And I'm going to sweeten it up a bit (aka: reduce the "torch my mouth and pray for ice cream later" feeling) with some coconut milk. Since I don't eat rice, I'm not sure what I'll put it over. Or under. Or whatever. Maybe a whole wheat tortilla? Hm.
And I need to remember to take pictures of my cooking experiments. Some of them might actually be worth looking at and going gaga over. If not, they'll at least be a good lesson in what NOT to do when cooking. In the meantime, let it be known that I actually did make something French!
2 comments:
Yes, take pictures! You are the best cook ever! You should be a chef....and make lasagne all day!!! It's the best ever...a bit of heaven if you ask me!
This comment in no way means I will make you lasagna, Linda. Nice try though! One of these days I'll make another pan for you. When I have tons of money and nothing to do. You can count on it!
Post a Comment