Backgrounds

10/26/10

Primary Program

The boys didn't scream when they sang. 
Almost every kid had their part memorized. 
They all knew the words to the music. 
Everything went really well. 

Until the fire alarm got pulled! Yep. It's true. We're ready to sing the closing song, I've just played the introduction, and the fire alarm goes off. (I heard later that someone actually pulled it and it was NOT an accident. Jerks!) The bishop got up and ran to turn it off. The kids were a little worried, wondering if we should evacuate. The rest of the congregation, including the Stake President, sat right where they were and didn't move an inch. 
What did I do? Well, I just kept playing. What else could I do? I knew if I stopped playing the kids would go nuts and we'd never get them back to sing the closing song. And it was such a good song! We had to sing it. 
The alarm finally got turned off, we started singing again, and the alarm beeped a couple of times and then died. The children finished singing, and the whole program turned out beautifully! I'm so happy those older boys were respectful. And I'm so glad the teachers were there to keep the kids reverent during the fire alarm fiasco. 

The crowning jewel of it all? One of the yelling boys came up to me in the nursery room and (with head down and arms folded) said, "Sister Miller, sorry about last week." Aw. How cute! Then, I found out later his mother had only heard about the incident that morning and it ruined her Sunday! She was NOT happy and demanded that he apologize. They were planning to come over after church, but I saw her at choir practice and told her about his apology. I think she was glad he'd done it on his own accord. The reason doesn't really matter. What matters is he knew what he did was wrong and tried to make it right. He deserves a pat on the back for that. And it feels good to know that my going postal actually made a difference, even if it was only for a second and only with one of those boys.

No comments: