There's been a lot of broo-ha-ha (however you spell it) over tax hikes for families in the very near future. Supposedly, Obama said they wouldn't increase taxes for those who make less than $250k a year. Uh, yeah, that includes a LOT of people.
After reading the report about the tax hikes and discussing it some, I heard someone (single) say, "Well, one more reason I'll never get married." What the?! That's not a valid reason. Sure, the comment could have been made in jest, but really? I don't even get the thinking behind that. You don't want to be taxed more, so you avoid finding an eternal mate and having children in order to get out of it? Wow. That's gotta be a marker of some kind of insanity. Better yet, I think it's the best example of selfishness I've ever heard. Why not say instead, "I like having my time, money, and interests to myself. Therefore, I'll never get married." But nnnnnnnno. You gotta use some dumb excuse about tax hikes to try and cover your selfishness. Genius.
Instead of ending on a negative thought, I'd like to say how miraculous and amazing and wonderful it is that 33 Chilean miners are being rescued today. They have spent 69 days in a mine. The 15-20 minute ride in a capsule to daylight has got to be the longest ride of their lives. Imagine how they must feel seeing their families for the first time in months. Knowing they can have a real meal for dinner tonight. Realizing that time has passed while they've been enclosed in a hole 2,000 or more feet underground. Wow. How incredible is it that they have now been saved and get to go back to "normal" life? It's truly a miracle of huge proportions.
Betcha none of them are worried about tax hikes. And I betcha none of them would let tax hikes keep them from finding and marrying the love of their life and having kids that they can tell their amazing story to as they grow up. Betcha the last thing on their mind is being selfish. Hope it doesn't take such dramatic events for other people to stop being selfish. They could really learn a lesson from those miners.
No comments:
Post a Comment