Every Sunday, when I was little, my mom would take meals to an older couple in our ward. They were home bound and couldn't even get out to come to church. Mom found out about their situation and arranged to take two plates of whatever we had for Sunday dinner over to them. I vaguely remember going with her a couple of times. At that age, I was afraid of "old people", although they couldn't have been much older than my grandparents.
Anyway, there was one Sunday (Mom tells the story better) where a lot was going on. We had unexpected company or too much going on after church or something. Somehow, in all of the confusion, Mom completely forgot to take their meal to them. Later in the evening, Mom was jolted out of her seat as she realized they had not eaten. She put together a meal for them, and nearing tears, walked the two meager plates across the street.
When Mom got there, the couple was waiting patiently at their kitchen table. She asked if they had eaten; they replied no. Then, she asked why they hadn't called to remind her. Their reply: "We just figured you got busy, but we knew you would eventually remember and come to see us." Mom was mortified - to say the least. She has recounted this story many times, and I think she may even still feel some guilt about it. She has jokingly said when she gets to the other side that they will meet her and her recollection of that day will be what condemns her to hell. That's my mom!
Mom is still my kind of woman though. After all, who else in the ward was taking in meals every week? Who else was thinking of them when they made Sunday dinner? Who else had their kids deliver the meals often so they had a service experience? Who else made two old people happy by providing a meal and a visit and someone to talk to?
I want to be that kind of woman. I want to visit the elderly with meals and treats and be someone they can talk to. I want to teach my children how to serve by being an example of service - and by expecting nothing in return. I want to share with others and do things out of the ordinary that are simple and yet appreciated. And I don't want any credit or thanks or grand hoopla for doing it. In fact, keeping it anonymous would be great. That's the kind of woman I aspire to be. I should start now, but I find a million excuses (I don't have time, I have homework, etc.) and none of them are good enough to excuse me from doing something nice for someone else for no reason at all. I guess I just don't want to be kept out of heaven because I took the easy way out by serving myself. And I guess I also want to prove the cynics wrong - people really will do nice things for others just because they can.
1 comment:
nice post katie...and you are that kind of woman!
Post a Comment