The Primary Program. Need I say more?
Well, I will anyway. Because yesterday at our practice, I lost it. Went postal on the children. Yes, on the children!
Here's the scoop:
I am the Junior Primary pianist. The Senior Primary pianist has to play the organ, so I volunteered to play for the whole program. This was the first time both sections of the Primary had been together to practice. There was a lot of organized chaos, but I was so pleased with the little Junior peeps. They were reverent and listening and trying their best to sing the songs and get the words right. Go team!
During every song we sang, there was some yelling. At first, I thought it was a few of the smaller ones singing loud (because they don't know the difference sometimes between singing loud and yelling). Before long, I realized it was NOT the little people. It was the oldest boys who were sitting behind me.
Well, I let it go for a bit. The senior music leader wasn't there, so one of the Presidency was helping with the music. We got to the song "The Church of Jesus Christ" - one of the kids' all-time favorite songs to sing. They always sing it with gusto. The Junior chorister taught the kids they are singing their testimony. And it's the one song they know all the words to without hesitation. It didn't surprise me that they sang VERY loudly.
Then, this overwhelming feeling of anger welled up in my throat. The oldest boys were yelling - actually, it was more like screaming - every time the words "church" or "Jesus Christ" were sung in the song. I couldn't take it anymore!
I stood up from the piano bench and gave them what for, basically saying they were singing a song about my Savior and that was NOT the way the song should be sung. Here are these boys, sitting behind the sacrament table, screaming the words Jesus Christ and thinking it was funny. These are the boys that will pass the sacrament to me in the next two years. And that's how they treat the words Jesus Christ?! I don't think so!!!
Well, with tears in my eyes, I nicely told them where to go and re-played the song introduction. Everyone (except those boys) sang the song again, only this time it was much more quiet and respectful. After church, I went back and apologized to the Presidency saying I shouldn't have lost my cool, etc. They all said the same thing - "You don't need to apologize!" Little did I know that the Primary President had gone out to look for members of the Bishopric to come and sit with the boys. When she couldn't find anyone, she came back to the chapel, only to hear me chew them out.
Oh man. I feel bad for going postal, but there is no way I will allow someone (especially someone who knows better!) to disrespect my Savior that way. Later, I told Mom that it kind of felt good to do it because now I knew I was capable of standing up when things counted - when it mattered. And that I wasn't afraid to speak my mind and say, "Hey, that is NOT how you speak about Jesus Christ." Hopefully, that means I will also say the same things if I'm ever being tortured. Or maimed. Or anything else that's bound to happen with the Second Coming as the world is being burned.
Honestly, I'm not one that gets mad like that a lot. Things bother me, sure, but I don't usually speak out about it because I'm more of a peacemaker - I just want everyone to get along with and love each other. Guess we'll see what happens next week when we do the program for the whole congregation. Start praying now that those older boys behave because NOBODY wants to see me stand up and give them what for during the meeting.
Do you suppose I'm going to be "cast out" for going postal on the Primary children?
3 comments:
That's it. You're fired!!
'Bout time! I've been trying for almost seven years now!
I hope I would have done the same thing Katie! I hope the boys will think twice about the songs that they sing about our Savior! I'm glad you said something to thme! (and you will not be "cast out"!)
Post a Comment